Does my Home & Contents Insurance Policy cover my move?

This question is asked a lot.Home & Contents Insurance Policy

The name of this type of insurance policy is called ‘Transit Insurance’ or ‘Restricted Cover’. It covers your goods while they are in the truck only. Outside of the truck to the house is called ‘All Risk’. All Risk is a more extensive and totally different cover which includes transit insurance cover, which I will explain in another post.

Many people think their home contents insurance covers insurance of their goods when they’re moving however this is not always the case. From my research, I have only found one company that provides transit insurance only. It is important to find out exactly what is covered, so check your policy wording and contact your insurance company. It’s a good idea to contact your insurance company anyway as your living conditions and belonging will change, so will your policy. For example, different areas are considered more or less risk depending on the terrain, house values are different and your amount of furniture may change, more items or less items.

Most polices can be transferred to your new house, but if there is a delay from when you move out till when you move in the insurance company may make you cancel your policy and start a new one.